How To Play Poker in Wheeling, WVWhether you're playing a table game at Wheeling Island Hotel Casino in West Virginia, or a friendly hand with your buddies, there are a few poker basics you need to understand before the first card us dealt.
How To Play Texas Hold 'Em
- Most Texas Hold ‘Em games use a two-blind structure, which means that there are two forced bets by two players. The player to the left of the dealer must post the Small Blind - and the player to the left of the Small Blind must post the Big Blind, which is normally double the amount of the Small Blind.
- Next, every player is dealt two cards, known as “hole” or “pocket” cards, face down. After those cards have been dealt, the player to the left of the Big Blind can call the best, raise it or fold. After that, betting will continue clockwise around the table.
- Once betting is complete, the dealer will place three cards face up, in the middle of the table. All players use these cards, known as “the flop,” in conjunction with their “hole” or “pocket” cards.
- After another betting round, which will begin with the player to the left of the dealer, a fourth card is dealt, face up, in the middle of the table and another round of betting will ensue. The dealer deals a fourth card, face up, in the middle of the table.
- Finally, the dealer will place a fifth card, face up, in the middle of the table (this is called “the river”) - and one last round of betting will begin.
- At this point, anyone still in the game will reveal their hand - and the person who can make the best five-card hand by combining their “hole” or “pocket” cards with the cards in “the river” wins.
How To Play Omaha and Omaha Hi-Lo Split Poker
Omaha is often played high-low split, 8-or-better. You may use any combination of two hole cards and three board cards for your high hand and another (or the same) combination of two hole cards and three board cards for your low hand, as long as each card is made up of precisely two hole cards and three board cards.
How To Play Seven-Card Stud Poker
- In Seven-Card Stud, each player is dealt three cards - two down and one up.
- Starting with the player with the lowest card up, the initial betting round takes place.
- Afterward, the dealer will place a card face-up on the table and another betting round, this time started by the player with the highest-ranking hand, will take place. The process will be repeated two more times.
- With three cards face-up in the middle of the table, the dealer will place the seventh, and final, card face down. Players will bet one last time.
- At the end of the round, the player with the best five-card hand will win the pot.
If you're still unsure about how to play poker, Wheeling Island regularly hosts poker tournaments that give you the chance to see the game in action. For information about events, call 1.877.WIN.HERE.